Thursday 4 November 2010

Training and tests - Last Part by customer Cy Pearson...


Streetbike Instructor Paul Sturgiss with a very happy Cy Pearson

I just got in from Bromsgrove...
So what you’re saying… but I’m telling you I just got back from Bromsgrove...

Big Boots
After my very dejected ride back to Halesown I’m then faced with a bleak diary of available Mod 1 slots that fit with my work and availability of the guys at Streetbike and actual test slots. I had to wait over 2 weeks, it was just infuriating, only slot I could get was 30th September, patience is a virtue I kept telling myself, it will some come around – but no bike rides in between and the Yamaha was still sat in pristine condition in the garage. Nice having it in showroom condition but I much rather get it dirty and use it.

The day finally came, early start at Streetbike, 7am to get to Wolverhampton for a test at 8:30. Good ride to the site, cup of tea in the café opposite. Tony who I’d done a few lessons with was also with me, he was up first. Waiting was a killer but he came back and passed first go so he’d beaten me but I was determined this time. Don’t go too slow through the speed traps was running through my mind that was the focus. Park in the green cones, manual manoeuvre – easy. Slalom, figure of eight – easy. Now the swerve DON’T GO TOO SLOW… nicely around the curve opened it up sights set on the curve, through the trap, clatter…. Yes you guessed it, big boot meet blue cone… Game Over.

Would you like to carry on with the test, John the very nice examiner asked, will it change the fact I just whacked a cone I asked… Sorry no he said. So shoulders down and lots of cursing and swearing to myself I tootled back to the gate to be allowed off… 50% pass for Paul today.

3rd Time Lucky – Hopefully
I know, getting tedious isn’t it… Another 2 weeks wait and I’m up again with a very nice lady whose name I forget but she had a 125 and was using it daily and wanted to lose the L plates… Maybe I should have done that… Another early start, and I’m up first…

I'll spare you a long drawn out paragraph – bike, green fence, green, yellow, blue and red cones, examiner, me and a bike = PASSED, sadly the nice lady got very nervous and think that was what did for her and she failed – I knew how that felt. Oh my god, I might actually get to ride my bike before it becomes a classic.

Mod 2
Mod 2’s are in short supply and I couldn’t get booked in for 3 weeks. I couldn’t go straight to the test I wanted to have a ride the weekend before. Paul was off so out with Steve and Will who was about my age and just getting started, he was out on the 125 and I was given the label experienced rider – no pressure then.

I had a great ride, everything flowed really nicely, missed a couple of observations but I knew I’d done it so I could rectify it, everything else was a dream, thorough pleasure to be out riding.

The test day arrives, Wednesday and a late morning slots for us. I’d had the worst Tuesday at work and needed to focus on the bike, nice ride around in the morning, felt very comfortable – I’m not superstitious but for the first time I was on the “other” bike… it was a little higher than the usual bike – Don’t be a fool, it makes no difference…

The examiner was John from “Conegate” – don’t think he recognised me, wasn’t going to mention it… Got the bike and passenger questions out of the way at the start and off we went. As soon as we left the test station we pulled over and straight into the “follow the signs” bit of the test, been doing it since 1987 when I passed my car test so no issue really. Road works in Bilston and massive queues around the Bilston St Island traffic not leaving the junctions clear – nightmare. I was thinking about moving over on the dual carriageway into the outside lane to try to make progress when I saw John move over edging towards a car telling me to get in front of him so I thought I’d failed for not making progress – but you never know so carry on…

Some national speed limit which was fun, pulling out from the kerb and a hill start, all covered and we were on the way back to the test station. I got into a muddle with three lanes enter an island, right indicator on going straight on but I was surrounded by cars so they were probably not looking at lights but my position. Nearly at the test station and the message pull in behind that parked car. Normally Paul gives you the instruction about a bike length away, but the instruction a car length came over the radio so I thought Volvo estate seem like a good length.

I thought I had fluffed it up, few things in my mind that I might get picked up on but I didn’t know if there were serious faults or not. Congratulations you’ve passed… What a fantastic feeling… 5 minor faults including 2 stalls – bit of nerves…

I just got in from Bromsgrove...
To finish where I started, I just got back from Bromsgrove where I went to visit a pal I don’t see very often – why is that of any interest – I went on my very own bike all on my own – Journey number 1!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment