Tuesday 5 October 2010

Get on Weekend Winner Eleanor shares her fun...


Hi, my name is Ellie,

I'm relatively new to biking, and know how daunting it can be sometimes to make the decision to learn something new. I'm just about to take my Direct Access Test, and if you'd asked me to do it a year ago, I'd have laughed as I walked away. I wanted to write a blog of my experiences on the way to my test, so that if you're considering doing the same, it could help you on your journey too.

I always liked bikes, but never had the inclination to want to ride one until I met boyfriend. Once I'd been out on the back of his a few times, I decided I wanted my own and took my CBT. I bought a 125 and began my biking career, but took quite a long spell off, due to an accident. I kept putting off the opportunity to get back on and build up my confidence.

About 3 months ago I stopped in at Streetbike for a look round. When I got in I found they were running a huge 'Get On' weekend, with lots of competitions and a chance to have a free 'Get On' lesson with the instructors. I thought it would be a great idea to re-start myself again and bring my confidence back, so I signed up. If you're not familiar with get on - check out their website http://www.geton.co.uk/ its all about helping people to enjoy the experience of getting on two wheels either for the first time, or if you've had a break, with qualified instructors and in a safe environment.

When I turned up for my free Get On Ride, the instructors let me start out on a Yamaha XJ6 because I already had a valid CBT. Initially I was worried about sitting on a 600, but my instructor Paul was fantastic at helping me cope with the size and weight of the bike in no-pressure off road environment. I found my free Get On lesson was enough time to let me get to grips with the XJ6 and remind me how much fun biking was. We spent the hour doing yard exercises on control and slow manoevres, which was invaluable for my confidence. At the end of the session, I was anxious to re-book, deciding not only did I want to get back on bikes, I wanted to start the road to take my direct access test, and was 100% supported by the instructors to do it. Thanks to 'Get On' and Streetbike, I have indeed gotten back on, and am now taking lessons for my Direct Access Test

If you're thinking of getting into biking, or getting back on again after some time off, I'd recommend the Get On scheme as one of the best ways to get you started. Streetbike runs regular weekends where you can sign up, or visit www.geton.co.uk  for more information.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment