Wednesday 5 January 2011

My First Pillion - the latest adventure of Customer Cy Pearson

There was obviously a lot of press about the up and coming bike show at the NEC which is literally on my door step and I realised I could claim my two free tickets from the GetOn site which would get my eldest daughter and I into the show. She has been gagging to get on the back of the bike since I passed my test and I've said I need to get used to it more before taking her out for a ride – I'd set the target of 1,000 miles on the clock. Then I followed the GetON team on twitter and won one of the ten tickets there too so along came her boyfriend – So that ruled out a ride to the show and a trip in the car.

We got to the show on the last Saturday afternoon and while I didn’t mention it to her I was hopeful for a few bargains to kit her out for a ride, there was no way she was coming on the bike without a decent jacket and a good helmet. We only found a cracking GST ladies leather jacket with all the armour for £40 and a quality helmet on a stall that said "Make us an offer" I started at 35% of asking price expecting to be talked up and he accepted – nice!!

So Sunday came and the other half was asking me to go to Merry Hill, the local shopping Mall and being 14 a certain young lady recently kitted out for pillion passenger travels want to come too and she wasn’t interested in the car. This time on the bike was funny as it was me giving the instructions not Paul at StreetBike… I was in charge.

At this stage having got get all ready to do, done the safety instructions, - don't lean out, no hand signals, don’t put your feet down, hold on etc etc. I don’t know who was most nervous me or Abbie… A precious passenger on a my new bike – was I upto it?

For the first couple of miles she clung on like a limpet and I couldn’t move much - set–of lights and a chance to ask her nicely to release the bear grip a little to let the blood flow through my body. We both relaxed after a few more miles and I was loving the fact that she might be interested in my new and somewhat expensive hobby – all adds to the justification of actually buying the bike and taking the time to pass.

She got off the bike at Merry Hill and what a poser, took the lid off and did a big hair flick on the car park… Face was beaming so throughly enjoyed it.

Have also had my 16 year old nephew on the back who wanted to find all the national speed limit roads in the country but his mother thinks we tootled around the town at 20mph – guess she knows now ;-)

I have also had my mother-in-law on the back – She didn’t even flinch when I asked if she fancied a go, she was straight up and raring to go but I had to draw the line at her wearing the red duffle coat she had on so she borrowed Abbies helmet and jacket… I have limits…

Life is better on two wheels so share it with those who can't get on and if you don’t ride but want to get on don’t be afraid to ask, I bet most will oblige…

I've also done my first major – 200 mile round trip in an evening - rode to Glastonbury to show a customer who is considering getting on 2 wheels – bit of work to do there yet…

All the best everyone, stay safe… Cy




.

No comments:

Post a Comment